Don’t you love a good thrashing?
Charlotte came out and dominated every facet of this game from start to finish. Just as we should, since the Rams are next to last in RPI overall and have practically dropped all expectations to ever compete in D1 basketball this year. We controlled every part of this game. From defensive rebounds (28 to their 10) to offensive rebounds (22 to 17) to assists (18 to 10) to field goals (35-20), the 49ers completely shut down WSSU’s entire game plan (did they really have one?).
The performance of the night, without a doubt, goes to Chris Braswell. He was phenomenal, scoring 16 points, 7-7 FGs, and bringing in 15 rebounds. He also had one assist, and it was a beauty. That high-low assist to Phil Jones for the dunk is the perfect example of what this team has lacked for a few seasons. 3 pointers, alleyoops, break away dunks, all nice, but legitimate post play is what we want to see. The best part of all? He’s a freshman!
Before this author gets lazy and starts bullet-pointing it, it would be unwise to go without mentioning the very entertaining conclusion of the game. Sure, it was WSSU, but we showed some serious depth. Our walk-ons seem legitimately serviceable, and who didn’t get visions of Plavich in their head when Colby shot that three pointer from Bass Pro Shops?
- Post play is legit, we were looking inside all night and seemingly scoring at will
- Our defense doesn’t force turnovers (only 12), but it is working by forcing bad shots (WSSU shot just 30.8%) and getting the rebounds
- Dewhurst seemed to be in a funk to start the game, but he’s getting comfortable on offense
- Wilderness is back on the court and showing that “must-kill the humanoids” mentality we all enjoy
- Harris may have developed a jumpshot
- It may have been WSSU, but we were getting it inside pretty easily
- Our transition offense is coming together
- Gokhan Sirin showed off his beautiful shot again
- Two home games in a row with an airballed free throw, can we make it three?
- Oh yah, Chris Braswell Chris Braswell Chris Braswell
Put on your Green Tinted Glasses
- Spears may have led all scorers with 17, but he seemed to be forcing it
- Bowden was colder than ice and willing to sacrifice our love
- Kyle Church didn’t get a basket, though he did get a sweet assist to the Turkish Terror